An Electroencephalography or EEG brain wave test is a recording of the brain’s spontaneous electrical activity over a short period of time, usually 20 to 40 minutes. The test takes approximately 1 to 1.5 hours to complete, and will be performed in the office.
Electrodes will be placed on your scalp and a computer will record the brain waves. This test will provide valuable information to your doctor regarding your brain’s health and function.
Instructions Prior to Test
- If you need to reschedule or cancel your test, contact us at least 24 hours in advance to avoid a $75 fee.
- Arrive with clean, dry hair. DO NOT use any oil, gel, hairspray, or any other hair products. DO NOT wear braids or weaves or pull up long hair.
- The test is most useful when the patient is drowsy. Stay awake as late as possible the night before the test, awake early the day of the test, and do not nap the day of the test.
- Breakfast is required for patients having EEG done in the morning.
- Normal meals can be eaten the day of the test. Try to avoid caffeine.
- Take your medications as prescribed unless otherwise instructed.
- Hair will be messy and sticky after test. Some patients prefer to bring a hat or scarf to wear after test is completed.
Setting Up for the Test
- When you arrive, the technologist who will perform your exam will take a medical history.
- The technologist will have you lie down while they measure your head and mark your scalp with a washable marker or pen.
- Each marked area will be rubbed with a gritty gel that cleans the scalp of dead skin, body oil, etc.
- The electrodes will be attached to the scalp with a very sticky paste.
During the Test
- You will be asked to remain very still and quiet with your eyes closed.
- The technologist may have you do a deep breathing exercise.
- The technologist may flash a bright light into your eyes.
After the Test
- The technologist will remove the electrodes and use a wet washcloth or gauze to remove the marks, gel and paste from your scalp.
- The tech cannot discuss results with you, but will give your test to the doctor to interpret.
- You will be contacted with results within 1-2 weeks.
Many people have concerns about the EEG. Please know that an EEG:
- Does not hurt
- Does not read your mind
- Does not determine whether you are emotionally or mentally ill
- Does not give you electric shocks
- Does not affect you in any way
Synergy Diagnositcs will contact you to schedule your EEG. If you have questions, please contact them at 713-409-8699.